New Year Resolutions for Life in 2019
Have you made your list of resolutions for the New Year? How about these to really make a difference?
1. Listen. Quiet your mind and take in what other people are saying as they tell you their story. Listen to their words and to their heart. Listen to
their body language. Seek to understand before you seek to answer or
2. Keep the storms of life in perspective. Struggles are going to come because Jesus promised, "In this world you will have trouble" (John 16:33). He also said, "Take heart for I have overcome the world." Practice a non-anxious presence.
3. Be gentle and passionate. St Paul said, "Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near" (Phil 4:5). Everywhere you go, in whatever
circumstance you find yourself, the Lord is near. Awareness of this will
keep you gentle, truthful, and hopeful.
4. When you wake up in the morning, make it your intention for the day to do what is right in the sight of God.
5. Give yourself away. The pattern of the life of Christ is one of
self-sacrifice. The "given away life" The blessings that you receive are a gift. The goodness that you receive is not something to exploit for your own benefit. Rejoice and create opportunities for joy in others.
6. Extend the grace of God. As you have received freely and fully from God, so extend to those who need grace. Forgive others just as God in Christ has forgiven you (Colossians 3:13).
7. Remember that it is not your job to set everybody straight. Choose your challenges with prayer and wisdom.
8. Look for opportunities to encourage a child, to love a stranger, and to
do something good for someone you don't like. Do something good for someone who doesn't even like you.
9. Love your family by making happy memories this year. Run in the rain, play in the snow, be spontaneous, and give them gifts at unexpected times.
10. Love your friends with gifts of time and attention.
11. Be a good student. Read the newspaper. Read as many books as possible. Watch less television.
12. Do unto others what God would have you do.
13. Take a Sabbath. One day out of the week the world can still turn without your work.
14. Be affectionate.
15. Be daring. Take risks for goodness sake. Use your talents with gusto!
16. Watch for answers to prayer and give God the glory. Give thanks for his love for you, a love exhibited by his rich providence.
17. Don't eat until you are hungry. Stop eating at the first sign of
18. Lean into life and be excellent.
19. Tell the story of God's great grace. "Christ died for sins, once for
all the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God" (1 Peter 3:18).
Happy New Year from your parish priest.